Sivut kuvina

for the payment of any duties, not exceeding in amount the duties hereinafter mentioned, in case parliament shall authorise the levy and receipt thereof; that is to say:—

Oats, per quarter, 2s. Oatmeal, per boll, 2s. 2d. Rye, pease, and beans, per quarter, 3s. 6d.

And his majesty, by and with the advice aforesaid, doth hereby further order, and it is accordingly ordered, that such permission to enter oats and oatmeal, rye, pease, and beans, for home consumption, on the conditions aforesaid, shall continue in force from the date hereof, until the expiration of forty days, to be reckoned from the day of the next meeting of parliament, unless the parliament shall previously to the expiration of the said forty days make provision to the contrary:

And the right honourable the lords commissioners of his majesty's treasury are to give the necessary directions herein accordingly.

C. C. Greville.

2. The Bells op York MinSter And of Bow-church, LonDon.—Owing to the fears which are entertained for the steeple of Bow-church, the famous peal of "Bow bells" is, for the present, silenced. It has been asserted that those bells "contain individually a greater weight of metal than any peal in England." This is not the fact; for the peal at York Minster is heavier, as will be seen from the following statement:—

York Minster. Bow-Church.

Cwt. qrs.lbs. Cwt.':.

Treble 8 3 7 8 3 7

2 9 1 5 9 0 2

3 10 1 22 10 1 14

4.... 12 2 21 12 0 7

S 13 2 2 13 0 23

6.... 16 0 4 17 0 11

7.... i\ 0'23.,,..,,.2<* 9. 28

8.... 26 0 13.. 24 2 S

9.... 33 2 16 34 2 6 Tenor 63 0 25 63 0 22

It appears, therefore, that whilst the trebles weigh the same in both peals, and in Nos. 6 and 9 Bow bells are the heaviest, all the others in York Minster contain more metal. The tenors of both are in the key of C.; and both peals were cast at the same foundry in London; Bow bells, in 1762, and those of York Minster, in 1765.

3. Coronation Of The EmpeRor Nicholas.—The ceremony of the imperial coronation took place in Moscow, this day. The time originally fixed was last June, but the death of the late empress caused it to be postponed; and, subsequently, it was further postponed; first, on account of a long fast, observed in the Greek church, which did not end till the 15th August, and, secondly, in consideration of the delicate state of health of the young empress. The latter circumstance was also the cause of the ceremony being considerably shortened; for it commenced at ten in the morning, and was finished by half-past twelve. That part of the Kremlin where the procession passed was entirely closed, and a scaffolding erected, the seats on which were let out at from twenty-five to seventy-five rubles. The ancient cathedral, which is very small, could not contain, at the utmost, above five hundred spectators, and of these scarcely one-fourth were accommodated with seats. On a raised platform, in the centre of the church, were three thrones, one of which was placed at some distance from the other two, and was occupied by the empress-mother, who arrived first. The emperor and empress camej about eight o'clock in the morning, in a procession composed of the generals of the army, the representatives of the nobility from the different governments, and the merchants of Moscow. The grand duke Michael assisted in putting on the emperor's robes, which was the commencement of the ceremony; and the grand duke Constantine held his sword, whilst he took the sacrament. When the emperor had placed the crown upon his head, he embraced the empress-mother and the grand duke Constantine, in the most affectionate manner. The empress wore a smaller crown, after the emperor had for a moment placed his on her head. The ceremony was over by half-past twelve o'clock; when discharges of artillery announced the completion of the ceremony to the multitudes, who were assembled without, and, on their return, the emperor and empress were greeted with loud and enthusiastic acclamations. At two o'clock the great banqueting-room was thrown open, where a table with three covers was prepared, under a canopy, for the emperor and the two empresses. A long table was occupied by the ladies of the court. The grand dukes Constantine and Michael remained standing. The grand duchess Helena, the emperor's three eldest children, and the prince of Prussia, viewed the banquet from a balcony in the upper part of the room; the clergy alone partaking of a repast during the imperial dinner. By much the most striking part of the whole scene was the presence of the archduke Constantine, the elder brother, who has renounced his birth-right, and acted as an attendant, bestowing, instead of receiving, homage. He walked on

the right hand of the emperor; the other brother, the archduke Michael, being on his left, and both of them being a few feet in advance of the canopy, which was borne over the emperor's head by his chamberlains. The crown was entirely composed of diamonds. None of the ambassadors joined in the procession, but all of them were present in the church. The duke of Devonshire was there, accompanied by lord Morpeth, lord W. Russell, Mr. Grosvenor, Mr. Cavendish, Mr. Townshend, and sir Alexander Mallet. Several other English gentlemen were outside the church as spectators. The day was exceedingly fine, and nothing whatever occurred to lessen, in the slightest degree, the general joy. In the evening a general illumination took place, and the towers and walls of the Kremlin were wholly covered with lamps, so that all their forms and angles were distinctly seen at an immense distance, and the prodigious blaze of light which played around the domes and minarets, seemed to be a realization of the delightful imaginings, the visionary descrip■tions, of the tales in the Arabian Nights.

5. Tumults In Dublin.— Thomas Doyle, George Saunders, John Diggan, William Moore, and Lawrence Lawlor, were brought before major Sirr, charged with assembling in a riotous manner on the preceding evening, and feloniously carrying off a quantity of bacon and bread from several huckster's shops. By the statements made before the magistrate, it appeared, that, about five o'clock in the evening, a body of upwards of 100 weavers assembled in Kevin-street, and from thence proceeded to Kevin's-port; on their way through Kevin-street, they stopped at the shop of a huckster of the name of Kelly, from which they took about ten shillings' worth of bread; they then went to the shop of Mr. Moore, huckster, Kevin's-port. Moore was absent at the time, but his wife, who was in a bad state of health, armed herself with a large knife, for the defence of her husband's property, and she was able, for a short time, to prevent the assailants from entering the shop. They at last succeeded in forcing the knife from her, when the poor woman was dragged out into the street, and knocked down. The mob then carried ofFa quantity of bacon and hams from the shop, to the amount of 10/. or 121., and went on to Charlotte-street, whither they were followed by Mr. Sanford, a grocer, and some other of the householders of the neighbourhood. In Charlotte-street, they entered the shop of Mr. Lawlor, huckster, from which they took a side of bacon; other shops in the neighbourhood were next visited in their progress towards the canal basin, from which spot they went off in the direction of New-street. In the mean time, Mr. Bell, commanding the horsepolice in Kevin-street barracks, had promptly assembled his men, and sending them out in different directions, they succeeded in making the fore-mentioned prisoners in New-£«lreet. Some of the bacon, which Doyle and Lawlor were seen to throw from them, was found. It was stated by several witnesses, that Doyle headed the party, and seemed to direct all their proceedings. Between seven and eight o'clock this morning, a number of men assembled in

the house of Mr. Dempsey, a baker, where they demanded bread, which was given to them; they then went on to the shop of Mr. Manders, where they made a similar demand, which was complied with. The party next proceeded in the direction of Bow-bridge, and on their way they met a baker's boy with a basket of bread, which they seized upon and divided among them; but, on the appearance of a party of police, from Arran-quay division, they dispersed, without committing further outrage. About the same time a small party, fifteen or twenty in number, stopped a basket of bread in Kevin's-port, which they knocked off the head of the man who carried it, and seized some small loaves. The man, with the assistance of Mr. Meade, of Cuffestreet, took two of the party into custody; their names are Thomas Mahon, and Brian Kiernan, weavers; they were brought up before alderman Flemming, at College-street office, when they were both committed for trial. They denied the offence with which they were charged, and said they were on their way to their work at Leeson-street, when they saw the mob coming up Kevin-street, but they never joined it. Throughout the day a number of weavers were assembled in front of the Exchange, and in different parts of the Liberty; in the afternoon some of them attempted to seize a basket of bread from a baker's man, in Camden-street, but were prevented. 9. ExpLosrox Of Gas A

coroner's inquest was held before T. Shelton, esq. on the body of J. Harrison, who was killed by an explosion that took place at thf

Jajnes's-street, mi proceeded to Cpburg theatre on Fri4sy»

G. B. Davidge, the proprietor, deposed, that, on Friday morning, about twelve o'clock, he was on the stage, when he heard a noise at the back of the theatre. He immediately ran under the stage to the gasometer, when he was compelled to return, in consequence of the gas which had escaped. He afterwards went back, and found the deceased lying on the top of the gasometer; the deceased and two other men had been employed in pumping the water from the tank, which was then about eighteen inches deep. The gasometer, which was in the centre of the tank, appeared to have been blown up to the ceiling, and the deceased to have been jammed between that and the gasometer, which afterwards rebounded nearly to its former position, falling on one of the other men. The gasometer had not been used for upwards of two years, and the water had been suffered to remain in the tank ever since, which caused a quantity of foul air to accumulate. The accident was occasioned by one of the men incautiously approaching the tank with a lighted candle in his hand, by which the foul air ignited, and the explosion took place instantaneously.

William Webb expired, in consequence of injuries sustained on the same occasion.

The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.

9- Muhdeb.Carlisle.<—Yesterday afternoon a woman named Mary Brown, was murdered in a field at St. Nicholas, outside the southern suburb of the city.

Brown was a woman of loose character, who for some time past lived separate from her husband, and had indulged in an improper with ana

On Wednesday, Tinneley induced her to accompany him into the field spoken of, where he inflicted several mortal wounds upon her head with a hammer. The poor woman fell under the blows, apparently dead; and Tinneley stood over her, with an intention of burying the body; but she at this moment opened her eyes, and looked upon him so reproachingly, that he shrunk from his purpose, and quitted the field. He then went fourteen or fifteen miles into Scotland; but, stung by conscience, returned, and, on Thursday afternoon, repaired to the spot where he had left his victim, and was horror-struck at finding her still living. He hastily retired, and went to the houses of some of his acquaintances, to whom he confessed the deed that he had done. The woman was removed to her former lodging, where she died the next morning at three o'clock. Tinneley was taken into custody. Before the inquest Mrs. Irving, at whose house it was held, stated as follows.

Ann Irving—The man who is now in custody, came into my house about four o'clock yesterday afternoon, and asked me, if I had heard of the woman that was murdered in Botchergate. I said no. He then said, there was one murdered, and he was the man who did it; adding he had been fourteen miles into Scotland, and had come back to give himself up. I inquired who the murdered woman was, where she lived, and what was her name; he said, they called her Brown, and that she was a bad woman. The man then said nothing more, but got up and went out towards the old workhouse. I thought he was deranged, though ha vrw quits collected' in Ms aupearance. He took out a handkerchief and began to cry.

Ruth Williamson—I live under the lodgings of the deceased. I heard that the prisoner and the deceased had gone off together; and when I saw him on Thursday, I asked him, if he had returned. He said, "Returned! Where have I been?" The prisoner had visited the deceased for six or eight weeks occasionally. I saw the prisoner when he came in yesterday, about ten minutes past four: he said "where's Mary Brown; have you heard any thing of her?" I said, "I have heard nothing: where is she?" He then said, "I've killed her; I've hammered her brains out." I fainted from fear; but as soon as I recovered my strength, I left the house and him sitting in it. When I was running out of the room, he ordered me to stop, and said he would take me to the place where the deceased was. I ran into a house, in which there was a young man, named Story, whom I requested to go into my room, as there was a man there, who had murdered Mary Brown. I then gave information to other persons in a weaving shop, when one of them, named Edward M'Bride, went to our house, locked thedoor, and found the prisoner in Richard Story's house. I accompanied the prisoner and a crowd of people to the spot where the deceased was lying, which was in a field near Botchergate. I knew the deceased; she was not entirely dead, but in a dying state: she was breathing.

Other witnesses corroborated this testimony; and the jury returned a verdict of Wilful Murder against Tinneley.

12. Scientific) DiecorBHY— Dr. Fuchs, at Munich, of the

Academy of Sciences, has just discovered a method of rendering wood incombustible, andhas proved the efficaciousness of it by experiment. He has combined caustic alcali in solution with a certain earthy substance, washed and sifted, and applied on the wood, which it renders imperviable to water, and to all kinds of humidity. The Architectural Committee, of the theatre royal, at Munich, has made trial of this method on two small buildings, one of which was prepared according to Dr. Fuchs' plan, the other not. Fire having been lighted in both these buildings, the one was burnt, the other received no injury. The expense of the application is only two francs for 100 feet, or two centimes per foot.

The Jury System In France. —It is known that unanimity is not essential to a legal verdict in France: the following verdict and sentence lately delivered at the Assize court of Paris, will shew the weight of authority which attaches to the majority of the jury: —Verdict—" Guilty, by a majority of seven voices over five, of having, on the 30th November last, as agent of police, committed an act of arbitrary power and imprisonment against the accuser Cornille." Sentence—" The court, adopting the opinion of the minority of the jury, acquitted the accused, and condemned the prosecutor, M. Cornille, to pay the costs of the suit to the state, making his person liable for the same"!

13. Funeraloflordgifford. —The remains of this nobleman were yesterday deposited in a vault in the Rolls chapel, Chancery-lane. The great gates leading from Chancery-lane into the Rolls-court, were ejosed early in the morning,

« EdellinenJatka »