Sivut kuvina

the party to Natal was intended to be constantly employed between the Cape and the colony at Natal, but on her return she was burnt at sea, and all on board perished.

Nothing was heard of the little party of adventurers till nearly a year afterwards, when, in May, 1825, the York, lieutenant Hawes, visited them, and brought some news of lieutenant Farewell's proceedings. That officer's first care had been to form an establishment, and this was done to the northward of the harbour, close to the wateringplace. The buildings consisted of three small houses and a few huts made of clay and bushes, and surrounded by a wall of five or six feet high, to defend them from the tigers and wolves, which were seen every evening in great numbers. Mr. Farewell was occupied in the construction of a large house, to be secured by a wall six feet high, and three in thickness, with platforms on which to place artillery. The party were healthy, and the soil was abundantly productive in grain and vegetables,; but owing to their small number, they had not entered upon agricultural pursuits. They had plenty of game and cattle, but were in want of bread and flour. They were on the best terms with the natives, and had the protection of their king (Chaka), who seemed to have great respect for Europeans. Three rivers, none of them navigable, cross the settlement. The inhabitants upon it were estimated at 250, of whom 100 were sent by Chaka to protect the establishment. Chaka having conquered this tract only two years before, had destroyed the greater number of the inhabitants. The harbour is well adapted for vessels not drawing more than nine feet water,


His majesty's ship Lever, capt. Owen, was the next that touched at lieutenant Farewell's colony. She arrived there on the 15th of September last. An officer on board says, "It does not appear that Mr. Farewell is sufficiently provided to carry on his commerce to any great extent. He has, however, collected about four tons of ivory, much of it from the southern parts. He had a quantity collected near Ants River, to which place Mr. Fynn was gone, to convey it to Natal. As every tooth had thus to be transported by land a distance of 80 miles, his traffic must be laborious. The intervention of hostile tribes likewise prevents lieutenant Farewell from attempting a direct communication with our old colony. But Chaka, understanding this, and affecting a great regard for the English, has determined on an expedition against all the Kaffres of the frontier, of whom this extraordinary savage says, he will not leave one man alive."

Mr. Fynn and the English of the party have adopted the Kaffre costume (a skin, merely, round the waist), but lieutenant Farewell retained his English dress.

2. SINGAPORE. - By an estimated value kept in the masterattendant's office, the trade of Singapore has increased as follows :

[ocr errors][merged small]



In 1822, value of exports and imports 8,568,172
1825, estimated at not less than 20,000,000

Large junks from different parts of China not only bring annually a multitude of settlers, but also import and export valuable cargoes; vessels of smaller sizes, from Siam and Cochin-China, are yearly increasing; a considerable trade also is opening with Manilla, The C


number of square-rigged vessels that arrived in the year 1823, from India and Europe, amounted to 216, of native oriental craft 1,550, importing nearly 80,000 tons of merchandize. And all this unprecedented increase of population, trade, and prosperity, has arisen, not so much from the favourable locality of this eastern emporium, and the safety and convenience of its port (both of which are excellent), as from the establishment in good faith of the principle of free trade; a simple provisional administration of justice, dispensed without delay; a strict and efficient police; and a judicious system of granting and registering lands; to which may be added, as most important, a large and liberal institution for the education of youth, of whatever country or religion. The Chinese, some millions of whom are spread over the islands of the great Asiatic Archipelago, are every where ready to receive instruction. At the college of Malacca, Chinese boys are not only taught to read their own and the English language, but allowed cheerfully by their parents to be instructed in the principles of the Christian religion. The college that was established there has now been removed to Singapore, and united to the Malay college founded by sir Stamford Raffles.

3. MURDER.-In Manchester a murder was committed, under extraordinary circumstances, on the body of Mr. T. Price, a respectable fustian-manufacturer. About two o'clock in the afternoon, an alarm of fire having been given, the engines were brought to Marsdensquare, to a house, the lower part of which is occupied by the Savings' Bank, and the two upper stories by Mr. Price. Soon after three, the

flames, which proceeded from the upper part of the building, were subdued, and a person went up to Mr. P.'s warehouse to ascertain the extent of the injury, when he discovered the body of Mr. Price near the door, beside a pile of velveteens, one of the pieces of which was placed upon him. He was lifeless, with a desperate wound above his left ear: his brains were scattered on several of the pieces around him. The skull appeared to have been cut through, but there was no implement found upon the spot with which the murder could be supposed to have been perpetrated. Mr. Gibson, of the Savings Bank, had left two of his clerks in the lower story, when he went home to dinner. About half-past one, one of them, smelling fire, went up stairs to ascertain whence it proceeded. On entering the back-room of the second story, which Mr. Price used as a counting-house, he observed his hat upon the desk; he then went up the next flight of stairs, in expectation of meeting Mr. Price, and found the door of the upper room open, but the smoke was so dense he could see nothing, and was compelled to retire. A man and woman, in the service of Mr. Price, have been taken up on suspicion. The man states, that he and the woman left their master about a quarter past one, Mr. Price having informed them that he would shut up the warehouse himself. The fire was discovered in about a quarter of an hour after, and the body was found in a lifeless state immediately upon the extinction of the flames. Mr. Price, who was about 55 years of age, left a widow and five children. There seems to be little doubt but that the wretches who perpetrated

this deed intended that the body should be so far disfigured by the fire, as to render its identification impossible. The Coroner's jury returned a verdict of wilful murder against-Evans, and a man in the service of Mr. Price. [See infra]. COMBINATION.-The Cumberland Packet says, on Monday last, the seamen of the port of Whitehaven turned out, as the phrase is, for an addition to their wages, of half a guinea per voyage; with which demand the owners and masters do not feel themselves in a condition to comply; and the consequence is, a suspension of nautical activity, with the exception of a few small traders, navigated by the owners and apprentices. The seamen, like the shipwrights (who are still without work), have foolishly connected themselves with clubs, wherein worthless characters in general hold sway, and thus, as a body, they are led to do many things, which, as individuals, they disapprove of. The present period, however, is a very unfortunate one for their project. A diminution of wages, under existing commercial pressure, is a much more likely occurrence than so great an ad

[blocks in formation]

silver coins of the ancient kings of this realm. In June last, as workmen were pulling down a house adjoining the Eagle Inn, they discovered, on digging up the bottom of the cellar, a quantity of silver coins, and, after a further search, a jug containing gold coins. A considerable scramble took place among the workmen; but Mr. Howell, the contractor of the building for Corpus Christi college, secured the treasure. The question now arose to whom it belonged. The Bursar of the college took possession of part of it, and Mr. Bails, for Mr. Howell, of another part; and eventually the whole was deposited in the names of the Bursar and Mr. Balls, in the bank of Messrs. Mortlocks, till it could be decided to whom it of right belonged.

The lords of the Treasury, a few days ago, applied to the coroner, to hold an inquest; and after going through all the evidence, the jury without hesitation found their verdict upon the points directed to their consideration by the coroner, who desired them to leave out of their minds any question of right as to whom the treasure belonged, as that would be for the decision of a superior court-" that on the 3rd of June last, 195 pieces of gold coin of the value of 130l. 3s.; and 3,510 pieces of silver coin of the value of 70l. Os. 54d. were found by William Smith and Stephen Woodcock, labourers in the employment of James Howell, bricklayer, hidden in the ground under the site of an ancient house or building situate in Bene't-street in the said town, which were of ancient time hidden as aforesaid, and the owners thereof cannot be known."

As soon as the verdict was re

released from his fangs! This was at last effected by the keeper, but the sufferer was left in such a state as to leave no hope of his surviving. The magistrates have committed the keeper to prison, and served the concern with a Welsh eject


RIOT. A serious riot has taken place at Norwich, the origin of which appears to have been the jealousy felt at the employment of country weavers by the manufacturers of the town. On Tuesday morning last, about eight o'clock, from 600 to 800 men followed a cart containing goods manufactured in the country, attacked it, seized its contents, strewed them about, and threw the cart into the river. They then returned to the warehouse to which the cart had been proceeding, and broke every pane of glass, threatening similar destruction to every warehouse. They next directed their attention to public-houses, and other places where they suspected goods manufactured in the country to be placed. This caused great alarm. A body of men, armed with pickaxes, shovels, bludgeons, stones, and other weapons, threatened vengeance to every manufacturer in the town. next attack was at Mr. Willett's, where they broke every window, forced an entrance into the counting-house, and destroyed almost every thing it contained. The


civil and military powers came up, the Riot Act was read; and every means was used to prevent a repetition of the outrage. (See p. 23). 25. ROME. Franconi, a youth


20 years of age, the murderer of the Prelate Tragetti, was executed in the Piazza di Popolo, in presence of an immense multitude of spectators, who filled the square, and the terraces of Monte Pincio.

When the sentence of death was read to him on the 24th, in the evening, he persisted, in spite of the clearest evidence, in denying the fact; but at length he confessed it. This prompt administration of justice met with general approbation, which, however, was not extended to the manner in which it was executed. There exists an ancient law by which the murderer of an ecclesiastic is to be knocked down with a hammer, then his throat cut, and his arms and feet separated from his body. This kind of capital punishment, which arose from the notions of the middle ages respecting the dignity of a priest, had not been practised since the reign of Pius VI.-On this occasion it was revived. Immediately on receiving the blow with the hammer, the criminal fell to the ground, apparently lifeless, on which the executioners proceeded to fulfil the other parts of the sentence with a dexterity and propriety that were really remarkable. The detached members were exposed for an hour, then put into a coffin and buried. It is said, that five other criminals sentenced to death were to have been executed before the Carnival, because it was thought that the people would thereby be deterred from the commission of similar crimes; but his holiness considered this mixture of the horrible with the comic more likely to weaken the impression of the former, than to inspire a permanent and salutary terror.

26. BARBARITY OF POACHERS. -William Thomas, alias John Emery, alias William Barnes, and Robert Wood, two young athletic men, were indicted at the Staffordshire sessions, under an act passed in the 57th year of his late majesty, for entering a wood, in the

parish of Wolverhampton, belong ing to Lord Anson, between the hours of six in the evening and seven in the morning of the 29th of November last, armed, with intent to kill game.

The singular circumstance of an aged female forming one of a small party on a night-watch for poachers -her intrepidity on the occasion the brutal conduct of the poachers -and the very narrow escape of one of their victims, gave to this case a degree of greater importance and deeper interest than usually belong to such transactions.

Mary Pinnett, a woman ad vanced in years, deposed as follows: I remember going with my husband, Nicholas Pinnett, who is a wood-ranger at Bentley, and my son-in-law, James Boulton, to watch for poachers, on the evening of Monday, the 28th of November last. We went out about ten, and returned at eleven; after waiting about ten minutes we started again, and went round the covers belong ing to Lord Anson. Soon after wards, we heard the report of a gun in Herbert's Coppice, and on proceeding in the direction from whence the sound came, we met a man in a field adjoining the coppice. I collared him-and asked what he was doing at that time of night. He said he was going;" he then said, "loose me, woman, are you going to rob me?" I said, " no, man;" and asked him for his name, which he said was Emery; this was about two o'clock. I kept the man collar'd, and sent my son-in-law to the constable's. Soon after, the man whom I held called out, as if to some companions, "D-n and b-t your eyes, if you don't come over I'll confess;" upon which Robert Wood and another man

jumped over the hedge out of the coppice, and knocked my husband down; they then beat my husband with Robert Wood's gun until they broke it, and afterwards with his own gun till they broke that too; they then jumped upon him; upon which I went to his assistance. They then turned from him to me, and knocked me down with a hedge-stake. I got up, and was beaten and knocked down again several times.-Before going away, they gave my husband a heavy blow on the head with the broken gun. They took my husband's broken gun with them, and left their own behind. Directly after they ran away, I went up to my husband, and found he was not quite dead, but covered all over with blood. My husband has been compelled ever since that time, until last Sunday, to keep his bed; he is quite incapacitated for attending here, in consequence of the severe wounds he received that night. I know the prisoners at the bar to be two of the three men who committed the offence. (Witness's husband had several of his ribs broken, and was otherwise much injured.) This statement, and the identity of the prisoners, being established by three other witnesses, they were found guilty, and sentenced to transportation for seven years.

ASTORGA LIBRARY. The Astorga Library, recently purchased for the Faculty of Advocates at Edinburgh, is supposed to be the most curious collection of Spanish books existing anywhere out of Spain. It consists of about 8000 vols. and was sold for 3000l. The Bodleian also had an agent in town to treat with Mr. Thorpe's creditors. The collection is unrivalled (in so far as England

« EdellinenJatka »