« EdellinenJatka »
33. What is said of Christ in the Epistle to the Colossians? Who is the image of the invisible God. (1 Col. 15.)
In him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (2 Col. 9.)
34. What is said in the Epistle to Timothy ?
Great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh. (I. Tim. 3. 16.)
35. What is said of Christ's relation to God in the Epistle to the Hebrews ?
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high. (1 Heb. 3.)
36. What does St. John say of Christ?
Unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. (1 Heb. 8.) (45 P. 6.)
38. What is said in the Revelations as to Christ's subduing his enemies, and his supreme dignity ?
The Lamb shall overcome them; for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings; and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. (17 Rev. 14.)
39. Is Jesus Christ our Advocate ?
If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (I.Jn. 2. 1, 2.)
40. Is Christ an High-Priest for us?
Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren; that he might be a merciful and faithful High-Priest, in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. (2 Heb. 17.)
41. What does Christ become to his people ? The Lord our righteousness. (23 Jer. 6.)
42. What effects should the death of Christ produce in us?
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness; by whose stripes ye were healed. (I. Pet. 2. 24.)
43. Is Christ able and willing to save ?
He is able to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him; seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. (7 Heb. 25.)
44. Can salvation be obtained from any other than Jesus Christ?
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved. (4 Ac. 12.)
V. OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.
Promises of the Holy Spirit, and gift of-Operations, in
fluence, teachings—Deity of-Resisting and grievingInspiring the Scriptures-Inviting to salvation. (Note) In the texts marked *, the Father, the Son, and the
Holy Spirit, are particularly mentioned.
1. Was the Holy Spirit promised in the Old Testament?
This is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel, And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my spirit upon all flesh. (2 Ac. 16, 17.) (2 Joel 28 to 32.)
2. What did John the Baptist say as to the descent of the Holy Spirit on Christ?
I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him; and I knew him not : but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. (1 Jn. 32, 33.)
3. Did Christ encourage his disciples lo expect the Holy Spirit?
* If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? (11 Lk. 13.)
4. What promise did Christ give his disciples, when he was about to leave them?
* I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him; but ye know him, for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. (14 Jn. 16, 17.)
5. Was this promise fulfilled on the day of Pentecost ?
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utteránce. (2 Ac. 4.)
6. How did St. Peter repeat the promise of the Holy Spirit to those who were “pricked in their heart ?”
Repent, and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (2 Ac. 38.)
7. Does the natural man receive the things of the Spirit of God?
The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness unto him; neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (I Cor. 2. 14.)
8. Where is our help and salvation to be obtained ?
Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith the Lord of Hosts. (4 Zec. 6.)
Not by works of righteousness, which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. (3 Tit. 5.)
9. How is the Gospel rightly received ?
Our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurancehaving received the word in much affiction, with joy of the Holy Ghost. (1. Thes. I. 5, 6)
10. By whom may we draw nigh to God? We have access by one Spirit unto the Father. (2 Eph. 18.) 11. Does the Holy Spirit assist in prayer ?
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us, with groanings which cannot be uttered. (8 Ro. 26.)
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit. (6 Eph. 18.)
12. Does the Holy Spirit sanctify the mind ?
* God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation, through sanctification of the Spirit, and belief of the truth; whereunto he called you, by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. (IL. Thes. 2. 13, 14.)
13. Who are the sons of God ? As many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God: for ye have not received the spirit of bondage again
but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself also beareth wit. ness with our spirit, that we are the children of God. (8 Ro. 14 to 16.)
14. Does the Spirit operate on the heart ?
* Hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost, which is given unto us : for when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. (5 Rom. 5, 6.)
15. Does the Spirit of God dwell in his people?
What! Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God ? (1. Cor. 6. 19.)
Hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us. (I. Jn. 3. 24.)
16. What is the curse of the carnal, and the blessing of the spiritual ?
He that soweth to his flesh, shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit, shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. Y6 Gal. 8.)
17. What is the fruit of the Spirit ?
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.-If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. (5 Gal. 22, 23, 25.)
The fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, and righteousness, and truth. (5 Eph. 9.),
18. What was the apostle's prayer for the Ephesian Christians ?
* That Het would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith. (3 Eph. 16, 17.)
19. What did Christ say of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. (12 Mt. 31.)
20. What was Christ's commission to his disciples ?
* Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. (28 Mt. 19.)
21. What is the apostolical benediction ?
* The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. (II. Cor. 13. 14.)
22. How did St. Peter reprove Ananias for his auful sin ? Why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost ? - Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. (5 Ac. 3, 4.)
23. How is the Holy Spirit mentioned by the apostle in connexion with the sacrifice of Christ ?
* How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered him without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works, to serve the living God. 9 Heb. 14.)
if “ The Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (See verse 14.)