« EdellinenJatka »
.) with whom were the (URIM and THUMMIM] Lights and perfections, Deut. xxxii. 8, and in whom Je was, Pf. Ixviii. 17, and who is styled Jehovah the Redeemer, 17. xlix. 7. Hof. xi. 9.
5. The HUSBAND (2 Cor. xi. 2. Rev. xxi. 2,) or BRIDE GROOM of His church is another character of His, which is notoriously that of Jehovah, called Je, Jer. xxxi. 32, I. liv. 5. If. Ixii. s.
6. THE JUDGE [H.(a) SHAPHar) is another of his titles, not merely as a man, but as the Son of man, Job. v. 27, who came down from, and though on earth was and is in heaven, c. iii. 13, i. e. as the God-man. For the Jews know from Gen. xviii. 25, Jud. xi. 17, Pf. vii. 11, cx. 6, 1 S. 2. 10, I/. iii. 13, the JUDGE was to be Jehovah and [el] God; or, as in Acts i. 7, 30, 31, God by that Man whom he has ordained, and from their sabbath, Pfalms xcvi. 13, xcvii. 2, xcviii. 9. 2, c. xix. 6, 8. Therefore calling Him so was proclaiming Him this (& L] God, this Jehovah (Je] the ESSENCE prefigured by His types (JeHOSHOP Hat (b)] THE ES
SENCE (a) The name of the typic ruler and bead, Num, xü. 6, 25, of him of whom the typic (ELISHA] GOD THE SAVIO OR was constructed in the character of fon, i K. xix. 16, thro (Ell-jah or Je) the GOD THE ESSENCE anointing or making him a CHRIST in figure; of a defcendent of [DAVID] THE PILOVED I C. iii. 224 of a typic chief, c. v. 12, and co 27, 29. rb) The name of the typic king, 1 ks xv, 2, 4, recorder,
SENCE THE JUDGE, and (SHEPHatiah] (or JE] (c) THE JUDGE THE ESSENCE, (ELISHQPHOT] THE INTERPOSING GOD THE JUDGE, 2. C. xxvi, 61. Which indeed the defcriptions of His coming Thew Him, Rev. c. xi. 12, 6. xv. 5, 7, xix. 11, xxii. 12, 13.
7. This is clear from His title of King, Luk. xix. 38, Joh. xviii. 37, xix. 19. KING of Israel, King of kings in Rev. xix. 19. For this person repeatedly claims it, and prediets He would be king, and His types have accordingly the names [Malchijah] THE KING THE ESSENCE 1 C. vi. 30, & al. [MelCHI-EL] THE KING THE INTERPOSING GOD, Gen. xlvi. 17, [Elimelech] THE INTERPOSING GOD THE KING, Rut. i. 2. & al.
8. He is called The Life, Joh. i. 4, c. xi. 25, The (o Zon) LIVING ONE, Rev. i. 18, the title of this [EL] God in [HI-EL] the LIVING God i K. xvi. 34.
9. THE LIGHT, the TRUE LIGHT (H. AUR, SHEMOSH) Joh. i. 8, 9, the titles of this Je, Pf. xxvii. 1, which they looked for Him under,
2 1. viii. 16 ;-3. officer over the household and provider for the king and his bouse, 1 K. iv. 17;-4 of the valley or deep-laid or lowly nature, Joel iii. 4.
(c) The name 1. of the typic son of David, 2 S. iii. 4—2, and 2. prince, Jer. xxxvii, 1, - of one whose children came up from the figurative captivity, Ezr. ii. 4, 8, 8, -4 of the bead of the typic bouse, 1 C. iii, 8. 12; — 5 of the belper of (David) Ibe BELOVED.
Mal. iv. I; and given to His types (URJAH CT
10. He is styled THE NAME, Joh. xii. 28,
59, 64, and whom they never are to fee till they shall say, blessed is He that cometh in or with the NAME (SHem Jehovah) Mat. xxiii. 39, as the multitude cried, Luk. xix. 38. Which, as it fhews us why we fo often meet with these phrases, the NAMĘ of Jesus, Aets iv. 13, and the Son of God i I. v. 13, and why such a stress is laid on believing and praying in this NAME, Joh. i. 12, iii. 18, c. xx. 31, i I. iii. 23, &c. proves also (JE] THE ESSENCE was in Jesus, as do his types (Samuel] The NAME OF HIM THE INTERPOSING GOD, (SHIMIDA] THE NAME TO BE KNOWN, Joh. xvii. (Shem] THE NAME.
11. He is styled THE POWER Or STRENGTH [H, oz.) of the LORD God, I Cor. i. 24,
a title answering to that in Pf. xxvii. I and to those of His types [Uzziah or JE] THE STRENGTH or STRONG ONE THE INTERPOSING ONE THE ESSENCE (UZZIEL] THE STRONG ONE THE INTERPOSING GOD (A maZrah) THE MIGHTY ONE THE ESSENCE.
12. THE ROCK 1 Cor. x, 4, notoriously the title of this EL, Je Jehovam, Deut. xxxii. 4, 15, 31, 2 S. xxii. 2, 32, Pf xix. 14, the REDEEMER in c. Ixii. 2,- \xxviii. 35. If. xxvi. 4. Hab. i. 12, and of His types, (see p. 12.)
13. THE SHEPHERD, Hob. X. 11. which this person in Jehovah promises to be in Ezek. xxxiv. I1, 22, 23, as well as in IJ. xl. IT. and whose type was called [REVEL] THE SHEPHERD OF HIM THE INTERPOSING GOD,
Ex. ii. 19.
14. THE TRUTH [H. A MEN), the title of this person in Deut. xxxiv. 2, as it is of JeSUS Rev. ii. 14, and was fignified by [AMON) THE TRUE ONE, 2 K. iii 21, 18.
15. THE WISDOM of God, 1 Cor. i. 24. [H. HecheM] Prov. viii, 12, &c.
16. He is called THE WORD in Joh. i. In [H. DeBeR), who was known to be this JeHovah, and came and spake by or [en] in the prophets, Heb. i. 1. (as He was, as Philo owns to be the priest, (p. 119.) as: [AMER] THE
Whence the priests, His types,
were called AMER, Neb. xi. 13, Ezr. ii. 10, and AMARIAH or JE] THE SPEAKER THE
All wbich titles prove the jusiness of the interpretation.
But His works are a ftill louder witness. These our LORD appeals to for so potent a demonstration of this God's dwelling in Him as might produce conviction, where His word and the Baptift's were questioned, Joh. v. 36, C, X. 38. If I [the man] do not the works of My FATHER (the Divinity), believe Me not. But if I do, though ye believe not Me, believe the works, that ye may know and believe that THĘ Father is In Me, and I in HIM, C. X. 38. And well might it be put upon this issue. For these were such matters of fact as might command belief that they were the works of one who was God. Because they were according to the predictions publickly wrought, as the works of this (JE] ESSENCE and [EL] God, Pf. Ixxvii. 12, 15. in the creation, and by the types, Moses, &c. before thousands and ten thousands, in the face of the sun; that it might truly be said in that day of the Messiah, Sing unto Jehovah, (ver. 3 Je) for He hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth, If. xii. 6, Pf. xcviii. 2, 3, cxi. 6. Mat. xxi. 15. And the Jews and GenTILES could not, and did not then deny them, Aits ii. 22. but Joh. xi. 47, in full council urged the Bb