« EdellinenJatka »
TIME, AT FULL AND CHANGE, WHEN THE FOLLOWING LIGHTSHIPS Swing FROM FLOOD
SPECIFIC GRAVITY OF DIFFERENT SUBSTANCES,
COMPARED WITH WATER.
FOR ONE MAN.
SCALE FOR VICTUALLING MERCHANT VESSELS AT SEA.
Coffee. Sugar. Mustard. Vinegar.
lus. Pint. lbs.
oz. per week.
pint per week
1 oz. per day when crew have been on salt provisions 10 days.
34 Galls. 15 30
103 129 154
100 00 00 00
17 22 26
120 150 180 210 240 270 300
108 126 144 162 180 198 216
210 240 , 270 300, 330) 360
DIETARY SCALE (WITH FRESH BEEF) FOR CREW.
Potatoes & Bouilli, Beer, Pork. & Bouilli.
Beef. Pork. Dys. oz, lbs. lbs. lbs. lbs. lbs. lbs. lbs. lbs. lbs. lbs. oz.
THE VICTUALLING OF SHIPS.
(THOMAS GRAY, ESQ., C.B.) 1. Scurvy has been on the increase in British ships since 1873.
2. Lime-juice, of itself, will not prevent scurvy, and too much reliance is placed on it, to the neglect of varied food scales.
3. Lime-juice, in connection with fresh or preserved meat and vegetables, may prevent scurvy.
4. The dietary scale of ships should therefore include a fair proportion of fresh and “preserved” meats, as distinguished from "salted ” meats.
5. More fresh vegetables should be carried, notably raw potatoes. No satisfactory reason is given why fresh potatoes cannot be carried on board British ships. The allegation that they will not keep good on board ship is clearly disproved by the fact that they do keep on board United States ships, and will keep for a fair time anywhere else.
6. It is not at present desirable to insert a statutory scale of diet in the articles of agreements with crews serving on long voyages ; though it may possibly be necessary hereafter, unless the shipowners themselves move in the matter.
LIST OF PORTS AND PLACES WHERE SHIPS
ARE SWUNG. Names of Firms at each Port who arrange for Adjustment of Ships'
Compasses for Deviation.
ABERDEEN. Berry & Mackay, Marischall-st., Aberdeen. In Bay.
W. Langford & Son, 53, Broad Quay, Bristol. In Dock or in King Roads
permission of Dock Mas. H. J. Thatcher, 107, Bute-st., ,,
ter, or in Penarth Roads. W.Weichert, Vienna Chambers, Bute-st. ", T. J. Williams, 2, Bute-place, Docks,
HARTLE G. Berry & Son, 63, Church-st., W. Hartlepool In Dock available or at sea. POOLS.A. Harris, 3, Church-street,
Emerson, 5, George-street,
G. F. Berry, Northgate, HUMBER B. Cooke & Son, 44, Saville-street, Hull. In River, White Boote Rds., DISTRICT. Castle & Pagan, Commercial-road,
Grimsby Rds., or at sea. Newton Brothers, Princes Dock,
Weather or ship's draught W. T. Parrott, Albert Dock,
renders tug necessary. LIVERPOOL. T. Bassnett & Co., 10, Bath-street, Liverpool. In River or any Dock avail. J. Bruce & Son, 26, Wapping,
able. The outer walls of Chadburn & Son, Waterloo road,
the Docks were marked Frodsham & Keen, St. George's-crescent ,
about 1368 with the de. Graham & Parkes, 43, Canning-place
grees for vessels adjusting W. Gerrard, 25, South Castle-street,
in the River. Allowance D. M'Gregor & Co., 72,
now to be made for the
difference in variation. LONDON Bryer & Son, 104, Minories, London. At Greenhithe. Three sets (THAMES T. Hemsley & Son, King-st., Tower-hill, , I of Buoys placed by the DISTRICT). Henry Hughes & Son, 59, Fenchurch-st., , Thames Gonservancy. J. Imray & Son, 89, Minories,
No charge for Buoys.
Tug usually employed, but
F.Wiggins & Sons, 10, King-st., Tower-hill,,
place available. SUNDERLAND C. Hutchinson & Co., Norfolk-st., Sunderland. Generally at Sea, or in Dock J. Morton, Savill-place, East,
when weather is too heavy U. W. Plumb, Bridge-crescent, J. J. Wilson, 19, Hudson-road, . »
SWANSEA. B. R. Cousens, 20, Wind-street, Swansea. In any Dock available or in J. Webber & Son, 104, Oxford-street,
the Bay. Nocharges in Dock THE CLYDE A. Dobbie & Son, 24, Clyde-place, Glasgow, 'In Gourock Bay or Tail of DISTRICT. D. M'Gregor & Co., 37, Clyde-place, , the Bank, Usually done M. Walker & Son, 44, Clyde-place,
at Garelochhead, where Sewill, 126, Broomielaw,
Buoys are placed by Clyde
Trustees Charge for use
A. Christie, 27, Clyde-place,
Leith. In Granton Harb'r or Leith D. Stalker, 6, Commercial-street, ,
Roads, Power on board.
P. A. Feathers & Son, 43, Dock-st., Dundee. In any Dk.available. Notug
T. L. Ainsley, Mill Dam, South Shields. At sea off Tyne entrance.
shore, or by sun.