Sivut kuvina

DEATHS- April.

a magistrate for Middlesex, Essex and Herts, and Deputy-Lieutenant of Essex.

17. At Lisbon, Lieut.-Col. Hugh Hay Rose, of the Portuguese service. He entered the British army in July, 1804; was present at the battle* of Corunna, Busaco, Albuera, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Nivelle, Nive, Orthes, and Toulouse, and received the war medal with nine clasps.

18. At Brighton, the Right Hon. Lady Erskine.

— At Edinburgh, Margaret, youngest daughter of the late Gen. Baillie, of Carnbrae, Lanarkshire.

— At Reading, in his 82nd year, Robert Haynes, sq., late of Barbadoes, formerly Speaker of the House of Assembly of that island.

— At Bareilly, Major Kenneth Campbell, 45th Bengal N.I.

— At Toft Hall, aged 33, Ralph Gerard Lcyeestcr, sq., son and heir of the late Ralph Leycestcr, sq., of Toft, M.P. for Shaftesbury.

— At Tunbridge Wells, in his 68th year, the Right Hon. Henry Bickersteth, Baron Langdale, of Langdale, co. Westmoreland, a Privy Councillor, a Bencher of the Inner Temple, and M.A., late Master of the Rolls. Lord Langdale was born on the 18th of June, 1783, at Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmoreland, the second son of Mr. Henry Bickersteth, a country surgeon and apothecary of considerable local repute. Lord Langdalewaseducatedatthc free grammar school of his native place, and was apprenticed to his father, and served the full time of his apprenticeship; and it is stated that he was professionally consulted in his father's house so late as the year 1807. He had in the mean time travelled on the Continent, in the capacity of medical attendant of the late Earl of Oxford, whose daughter he long afterwards married. He then became a member of Caius College, Cambridge, where in 1808 he graduated as Senior Wrangler and first Smith's prizeman. Having entered himself of the Inner Temple, Mr. Bickersteth was called to the bar on the 22nd of Nov., 1811, and he engaged at once in the arduous duties of his profession. He became a King's Counsel, and a Bencher of the Inner Temple, in 1827, and filled the office of treasurer in 1836. Throughout the whole course of his life Lord Langdale was ardently devoted to the cause of liberal opinions. His speculative opi

nions upon these topics brought him into close and habitual contact with that remarkable set of men who, about a quarter of a century ago, looked up to Mr. Bentham as their sage and lawgiver; and no small portion of the reforms which have since been accomplished in our laws, our administration, and the constitution itself, may be traced to that class of thinkers who claimed to be his disciples, and amongst whom Lord Langdale occupied a distinguished place. Assiduous in his devotion to his professional duties, Mr. Bickersteth rose to great eminence in the Equity Courts, to which he confined his practice. In January, 1835, Sir Robert Peel offered him the seat on the bench which was afterwards occupied by Mr. Serjeant Coleridge; but he declined this offer, though fully appreciating the honour paid him in its coming from the leader of the Tory party. His merits, however, were not forgotten by his own friends. In January, 1836, he was appointed to succeed Lord Cottenham as Master of the Rolls, and at the same time he was called to the House of Peers, and sworn a Privy Councillor. Lord Langdale thus rose to one of the most honourable and important posts in his profession without having mingled in active political life, and without having either sat in the House of Commons or held the office of a legal adviser to the Crown. Soon after taking his seat in the House, Lord Langdale broached, in a remarkable speech, those ideas of reform in the law, from the advocacy of which he never afterwards swerved. Upon the resignation of Lord Coy.enham last year, the Great Seal was more than once tendered to Lord Langdale by the Premier, Lord J. Russell; but, though he consented to act as First Commissioner, and actually sat for a short time in the Lord Chancellor's Courtand in the House of Lords in that capacity, the intense application to which the state of the Court of Chancery had condemned him, forbade any further stretch of his powers, and he longed only for that repose which the expiration of fifteen years' uninterrupted judicial service entitled him to claim, though not to enjoy. As a judge, Lord Langdale was said to want that boldness of judgment and self-guiding energy which has enabled our greatest lawyers to apply and even to frame the results of scientific analysis with instinctive felicity and precision. But he was unsurpassed in the lucid and methodical exposition of the facts with which he had to deal. His elaborate and cautions dissection of every case before him led him by a safe though slow process to the discovery of truth: and the subtlety of his logical powers enabled him to unravel with indefatigable accuracy the most intricate chain of reasoning. His labours as a reformer of the Court of Chancery fell infinitely short of his intentions and his desires, though even there he powerfully and systematically contributed to the new rules for the removal of delays, the reduction of costs, and the abolition of needless formalities. But the philosophical lawyer was baffled by the duties and obligations of the active judge. Scarcely a month before his death the late Master of the Bolls took his final leave of the court and the bar over which he had so ably presided. His last sitting was on the 25th of March. About a fortnight before his death, Lord Langdale repaired to Tunbridge Wells to recruit his health. His faculties, which had remained unimpaired to the last moment of his judicial duty, collapsed under that repose which came too late. A paralytic stroke followed, and, though hopes had at one time been entertained that change of scene and complete rest would revive his Lordship's vital powers, " the silver cord was already loosened, and the bowl was broken at the fountain." Late in life his Lordship married, on the 17th of August, 1835, the Lady Jane Elizabeth Harley, eldest daughter of the late Earl of Oxford, by whom he leaves one daughter, born in 1816; his peerage, therefore, becomes extinct. The body of Lord Langdale was interred on the 24th of April, in the vault of Temple Church.


19. At Egham, Mr. Wctton, banker of that place. He was discovered dead in a ditch near Wraysbury. The jury returned a verdict of "Temporary insanity."

— In Cambridge-terrace, Hyde Park, aged 74, Michael Bland, sq., a Fellow of the Royal Society, of the Society of Antiquaries, and of the Linneean, Horticultural, and Geological Societies. Mr. Michael Bland was for many years one of the partners in the brewery under the firm of Whitbread and Co. Mr.

Bland married, in .1800, Sophia, youngest daughter of George Maltby, sq., of Norwich, and sister of the learned Bishop of Durham.

19. At Brighton-terrace, Brixton, in his 88th year, the veteran comedian William Dowton. Mr. Dowton was the son of a respectable innkeeper at Exeter. He was apprenticed to an architect, but his passion for the stage induced him to run away and join a company of strolling players, with whom he made his debut as Carlos, in "The Revenge," at Ashburton. He underwent the usual hardships of a stroller's life, but gradually gained B reputation, which he increased by his management of the Kent Company. He made his metropolitan dibut in the character of Sheva, in Cumberland's play of "The Jew," in the season of 1794, with much success. No man on the stage was more versatile at this period of his career than Dowton; he was the able successor to King in many of his principal parts, which he long retained. His personation of Sir Hugh Evans, in "The Merry Wives of Windsor," was excellent; no actor ever succeeded like him in giving it that peculiar spirit and richness of colouring that rendered it so delightfully whimsical. Dowton was at one time considered the best representative of the fantastic Malvolio that the stage possessed. Russett, in the "Jealous Wife;" Sir Anthony Absolute, in "The Rivals;" Major Sturgeon, in " The Mayor of Garrett;" and Governor Hartall, in "The Soldier's Daughter," were also characters in which he shone. His Dr. Cantwell, in "The Hypocrite," was universally acknowledged to be inimitable. He continued at Drury Lane for many years, playing at the Haymarket in the summer. At one of his benefits at the latter house (on the 15th of August, 1805,) he revived the burlesque of " The Tailors," at which the fraternity took umbrage, and created a memorable riot in the house during the performance. Still, with this high character with London audiences, Dowton never took with the provincials, and the consequences were very injurious to his fortunes, be that in the decline of life the veteran actor found himself as poor as he was when he first joined the strollers at Ashburton. It was when his prospects were gradually becoming darker that a benevolent project was set on foot to give him a benefit at Her Majesty's Theatre, on the 8th of June, 1840. His professional brethren and sisters lent their gratuitous assistance on the occasion, and Coleman's comedy of "The Poor Gentleman" was played, with an excellent cast. At the conclusion of the play an address was spoken, written by Sheridan Knowles. The subscriptions and donations realized a considerable sum, with which an annuity was purchased, that served to render easy and comfortable the declining days of one of the most natural actors that England ever possessed.


19. At Louth, aged 82, Anne, relict of Marmaduke Alington, esq., of Swinhope House.

— At hie house, Crescent, Birmingham, aged 85, Joseph Moore, esq., a gentleman to whom that town is indebted for many social improvements, and in particular for the institution of its musical festival, the great music hall, and the superb organ; for these festivals Mr. Moore induced Mendelsohn to compose his oratorios "St. Paul" and "Elijah," which were first performed in this hall, the great composer himself conducting the performances.

— At Barbadoes, Emma Sophia, the wife of Col. Sir Wm. Colebrooke, R.A., Governor of the Windward Islands.

20. At Greenwich, aged 64, Lieut.C'ol. Joseph Garner, late of the Hon. E.I.C. Bengal army.

— At Montville House, aged 79, Anne, widow of Thomas Priaulx, esq.

— At Mortimer Hill, Berks, aged 76, Sir Claudius Stephen Hunter, bart., Alderman of London and Father of the City, Colonel of the West London Militia, President of the London Life Association, and D.C.L. This venerable citizen was the youngest son of Henry Hunter, esq., of Beech Hill, Berks. The paternal ancestors of Sir C. S. Hunter were citizens and merchants of London, of considerable eminence in the reign of Charles I., as appears from family records in the Heralds' College, by the deed executed by the judges commissioners for the settlement of estates after the Fire of London, by which certain property in the city was assigned to the ancestors of the late baronet, and is still in the family. Sir C S. Hunter was a solicitor in very extensive practiee in the City, and was the legal adviser of many of the most

important civic institutions. In Sept., 1804, he was unanimously chosen Alderman of the ward of Bassishaw, and two years afterwards was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel of the Royal East Regiment of London Militia, in 1808 he was elected one of the Sheriffs of London. On the death of Mr. Alderman Newnham, Colonel of the Royal West Regiment of London Militia, he was, on the 10th of January, 1810, elected Colonel of that regiment by a large majority of the Court of Lieutenancy. Col. Hunter finally quitted the profession of the law as a solicitor in Jan., 1811, and was called to the bar. At Michaelmas, 1811, he was elected Lord Mayor, and at the close of his year of office he received the thanks of the Livery, the Court of Aldermen, and the Court of Common Council; and the Crown was pleased, in Dee., 1812, to confer upon him the honours of the baronetage. On visiting the University of Oxford, June 23, 1819, he received the honorary degree of O.C.L. Sir C. S. Hunter married, first, Mary, daughter of William Sloane, esq., and secondly, in 1841, Janet, second daughter of James Fenton, esq. At the time of his decease the worthy baronet was Father of the City, having in the year 1835 removed from the ward of Baasishaw to that of Bridge Without.

21. Aged 22, Charles Thomas, son of the Hon. Charles Thomas Clifford, of Irnham Hall, co. Lincoln, and nephew to Lord Clifford.

— At Marsh Cottage, Wootton Bassett, aged 84, Capt. Bartholomew Horsell. lie saw much service in the Peninsular war, and lately received the medal and three bars for Badajoz, Busaco, and Toulouse.

22. At Lambeth Palace, aged 14, Mary, daughter of the late Wilson Dobie Wilsou, esq., and grand-daughter of the Archbishop of Canterbury.

23. At Bath, aged 76, Anne, wife of Lieut.-Col. the Hon. John Browne, uncle of Lord Kilmainc.

— In St. James's-square, aged 32, Jane Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. Robert Sumner, Rector of Calbourne, Isle of Wight, and second daughter of Sir Richard Simeon, bart.

— At HiH Hall, Staffordshire, aged 73, Thomas Cartwright, esq., a magistrate of the county. He served as Sheriff of Staffordshire in 1841.

26. At Bath, at the residence of her son-in-law. Major-Gen. Wcmyss, C.B., aged 83, Heater, relict of Herbert Pryse Ball, esq.


26. Caroline, wife of Deputy Commissary Gen. Cumming, of North Bank, Regent's Park.

— At Leicester, at a very advanced age, John Bolton, sq., a connection of Lord Nelson, and his friend and companion in early life.

27. At Coleshill, the Right Hon. Judith Anne, Countess of Radnor, third daughter of the late Sir Henry Paulet St . John Mildmay, bart.

— At St. Sidwell's, aged 76, Ann Deborah, wife of Capt. Gilchrist, RN.

28. In Eaton-square, aged 81, Admiral Sir Edward Codrington, G.C.B., G.C.M.G., and F.RS. Sir Edward Codrington was the third son of Edward Codrington, sq., and entered the navy in 1783. In 1794 he was Lieutenant of the Queen Charlotte, Lord Howe's flagship, in the action of the 28th and 29th of May and 1st of June, and was entrusted with the duplicate dispatches of the victory. He was in consequence promoted. In June, 1795, he bore a part in Lord Bridport's action with the French fleet off lie de Croix; and in July removed to the Druid, 32, in which he cruised for some time off Lisbon, and was in company with the Unicorn and Doris frigates at the capture of the troop-ship La Ville de FOrient on the 7th of January, 1797. From that time he was not again employed until 1805, when he wag appointed on the 24th of May to the Orion, 74, which was one of the ships engaged at Trafalgar. For that victory he received a gold medal. In Nov., 1808, he obtained the command of the Blake, 74, in which he accompanied the expedition to Waleheren, with the flag of Lord Gardner, who acknowledged his assistance at the forcing of the Scheldt on the 14th of August, 1809. During 1810 and 1811 Capt. Codrington was employed on the coast of Spain during the defence of Cadiz and Tarragona. In Jan., 1812, he was present on shore at the defeat of the French near Villa Lucca, and he continued to annoy the enemy along the coast of Catalonia, co-operating with the efforts of the Spanish patriots, during the remainder of that year. He returned home in Jan., 1813, and on the 4th of December following was appointed a Colonel of Marines. Soon afterwards he sailed to

North America with his broad pendant in the Forth, 40; and, whilst there, was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral, and appointed, in the Tonnant, 80, Captain of the Fleet under Sir Alex. Cochrane. Having hoisted his flag in the Havannah, 36, he took part in the attack on New Orleans, and at the con elusion of hostilities with the United States he returned to England with the official announcement of the capture of Fort Bowyer. He was nominated a Knight Commander of the Bath on the remodelling of that Most Hon. Order, Jan. 2, 1815; and was promoted to the rank of Vice-Admiral, July 10, 1821. On the 1st of November, 1826, Sir Edward Codrington was appointed Commander-in-Chief of the Mediterranean squadron, having his flag in the Asia, 84. It was in this capacity that he took the leading part in the battle of Navarino on the 20th of October, 1827, when the fleet of the Pacha of Egypt was destroyed by the combined squadrons of Great Britain, Russia, and France. In reward for this distinguished service, Sir E. Codrington was advanced to the dignity of the Grand Cross of the Bath; while from the Emperor of Russia he received the Grand Cross of St. George, and from the King of France the Grand Cross of St. Louis. In consequence, however, of the divided opinions of politicians at home upon this occurrence, which was characterized by the Duke of Wellington as an "untoward event," and in which Sir Edward was by some considered to have been instigated too far by his phil-Hellenic prepossessions, he was recalled from the Mediterranean in April, 1828. He afterwards, with his flag in the Caledonia, commanded a squadron of observation in the Channel in 1831; and, having attained the full rank of Admiral in 1837, was appointed, on the 22nd of November, 1839, Commandcr-iB-Chief at Portsmouth, which station he occupied for the customary period of three years. He enjoyed a good-service pension of 300/. In 1832 he became one of the first representatives of the new borough of Devonport, and was re-elected in 1835 and 1837, but resigned his seat at the close of 1839, upon taking the command at Portsmouth. In Parliament he had always supported the measures and propositions of the Liberal party. Sir Edward Codrington married, Dec. 27, 1802, Miss Jane Hall, of Old WindBOY : and by that lady, who died on the 22nd of January, 1837, he had issue, a numerous family.


28. At East Haddon Hall, Northamptonshire, aged 72, Henry Barne Sawhridge, sq., LL.B., barrister-at-law, a magistrate and deputy lieutenant of that county.

— At Chapel House, near Wolverhampton, in his 60th year, George Benjamin Thorneycroft, esq., a magistrate for Staffordshire and Shropshire. Mr. Thorneycroft was the son of a working man, and himself educated to earn his bread by the sweat of his brow. He was born in the parish of Tipton, Staffordshire, Aug. 20, 1791. In his youth he proved himself a most skilful and trustworthy servant to his employers in the iron trade; and when about 26 years old, commenced a small ironwork at Willenball, where he remained until the year 1824, when, in partnership with his twin brother, the late Mr. Edward Thorneycroft, he established the Shrubbery Ironworks, near Wolverhampton. In its earlier years, the "make" of this work was about ten tons per week; its present produce is probably not less than 800 tons weekly. The result was, that Mr. Thorneycroft realized a considerable fortune, with the general love and respect of his friends and connections. His clear head and known probity had raised him to the head of the iron trade, and he was the acknowledged organ of the body in their communications with Government. Although he had taken no active part in the incorporation of the town of Wolverhampton, he was selected to be its first Mayor, in the year 1849. His accession to the office was marked by a splendid exhibition of hospitality. He gave to the corporation its silver-gilt mace; and, better than this, he marked the period by devoting the interest of l000t to be given for ever, to provide blankets for the poor. Mr. Thorneycroft was also in the commission of the peace for the counties of Stafford and Salop, and, until recently, took an active part in the magisterial business of the town and district.

— At Ashford Hall, Shropshire, in his 65th year, Major-Gen. Lechmere Coore Graves Russell, C.B.

— At Hoveton House, Norfolk, aged 6, Francis Grose, youngest son of the Rev. T. J. Blofeld, Rector of Drayton,

and great-grandson of Capt. Francis Grose, the celebrated antiquary.

28. At Grove House, Knutsford, in her 70th year, Emma, widow of Thomas William Tatton, sq., of Withenshaw, Cheshire. She was the daughter of the Hon. John Grey, third son of the fourth Earl of Stamford and Warrington.

29. At Bishop's College, Calcutta, the Rev. Alfred Wallis Street, M.A., Senior Professor of the college.

— At Pietra Santa, in the Duchy of Lucca, on his 70th birthday, the Right Hon. Charles Christopher Pepys, Earl of Cottenham, Viscount Crowhurst, of Crowhurst, Co. Surrey, and Baron Cottenham, of Cottenham, co. Cambridge, a Privy Councillor, a Baronet, and a Bencher of Lincoln's Inn. Lord Cottenham was the second son of Sir William Weller Pepys, bart., a Master in Chancery, by Elizabeth, daughter of the Right Hon. William Dowdcswell, and was born in Wimpole-street, on the 29th of April, 1781. He was a member of Trinity College, Cambridge, where he graduated LL.B. in the year 1803 without honours, the same year in which Sir James Parke and Mr. Justice Coltman, also of Trinity, took wranglers' degrees. He was admitted a member of Lincoln's Inn on the 26th of January, 1801, and called to the bar by that society on the 23rd of November, 1804. From the day that he quitted Cambridge he devoted himself with unremitting assiduity and signal success to the study of his profession, and was pupil of Mr. William Tidd and Sir Samuel Romilly. The progress of Mr. Pepys at the Chancery bar was not rapid. He was 22 years in the practice of his profession before he reached the rank of King's Counsel, in Michaelmas Term, 1826. On the 6th of November in the same year he became a bencher of Lincoln's Inn. He was appointed Solicitor-General to Queen Adelaide in 1830; and (Sir John Campbell being the AttorneyGeneral) Solicitor-General to the King in February, 1834, and received the honour of knighthood. In July, 1831, through the interest of Earl Fitzwilliam, he was returned to Parliament for Higham Ferrers; in October following he exchanged to the borough of Malton, in the same patronage, and for which he was re-elected in 1832 and 1835. On the retirement of Sir John Leach, Mr. Pepys became Master of the Rolls, in Sept., 1834. To his duties in

« EdellinenJatka »