Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sivua
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Tulokset 1 - 3 kokonaismäärästä 64
... fact he turned back about 100 miles south of the Pole, though again Byrd also
has his defenders. If neither Cook, Peary, nor Byrd is to be believed, then the first
to see the Pole were those with Roald Amundsen aboard the airship Norge on ...
All three were formidably difficult, and when Roald Amundsen came to complete
the first transit of the Northwest Passage, it was by a fourth route east of King
William, through James Ross and Rae Straits. Henry Larsen's first transit — the ...
Amundsen had beaten them to the Pole. The next day, they too were at the Pole,
where they found a tent left behind by the Norwegians with a note addressed to
Scott and another that Scott was asked to take to the Norwegian king in the event
Mitä ihmiset sanovat - Kirjoita arvostelu
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
67 muita osia ei näytetty