Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sivua
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Tulokset 1 - 3 kokonaismäärästä 69
Curiously, Barents failed to note — or at least did not report — the presence of
whales off Bear Island and Spitsbergen when discovering these islands in 1596,
and it was not until 1 6 1 2 that Dutch whalers began to visit Svalbard. In 1 6 1 4, ...
Meeting up with Olsen, who had gone ahead with Birket- Smith, they followed the
Inlet to Baker Lake, where they arrived on 12 May to find Birket-Smith happy with
what he was learning about the Caribou Inuit from those visiting the HBC post ...
Together with Boothia, this island marks the division between Canada's Eastern
and Western Arctic. Long visited by Inuit hunting parties, it was first seen by an
exploring expedition in August 1819, being noted from a distance by Edward
Mitä ihmiset sanovat - Kirjoita arvostelu
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
67 muita osia ei näytetty