« EdellinenJatka »
LETTER OF INSTRUCTION.
OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY,
The following instructions are published for the information and guidance of customs officers and others concerned:
1. Decisions of the Board of United States General Appraisers adverse to the Government will, if not appealed from, take effect 60 days after their respective dates, except that decisions based on protests filed in Alaska and in the insular and other outside possessions of the United States will take effect 90 days after their respective dates, in accordance with subsection 29 of section 28 of the act of August 5, 1909. Entries covering the merchandise the subject of such decisions will be reliquidated in harmony therewith at the expiration of the period mentioned, except that entries covering merchandise the subject of decisions of the board which follow a given decision of the Court of Customs Appeals involving the same issue will be reliquidated immediately upon receipt of orders from the board.
2. Entries the subject of protests which have not been forwarded to the board, and which are covered in principle by a given decision of the Court of Customs Appeals, will be reliquidated in harmony with the said decision after 30 days have elapsed from the date thereof.
3. Unliquidated entries which involve issues covered by a given decision of the Court of Customs Appeals, and which would in ordinary course be liquidated within 30 days after the rendering of such decision, will be suspended until 30 days have elapsed from the date of such decision, and will then be liquidated in accordance with the principle laid down by the court.
4. In the absence of specific instructions from the department to the contrary, decisions of the Board of United States General Appraisers adverse to the Government, if appealed from by the department, will not result in any change of practice prior to the decision of the appeal by the Court of Customs Appeals.
5. Decisions of the Court of Customs Appeals adverse to the Government will become effective upon the issuing of orders by the Board of United States General Appraisers pursuant to the mandates of the said court. Entries covering the merchandise the subject of such decisions will be reliquidated only upon receipt of such orders. W. G. McADOO,
Secretary of the Treasury.