Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sivua
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Tulokset 1 - 3 kokonaismäärästä 88
In: J. H. Bater and R.A.French, eds., Studies in Russian historical geography, vol.
... Willoughby himself had met disaster on the Lapland coast in 1554, Richard
Chancellor, one of his captains, survived to establish trading links with Russia.
Hunters such as these regarded the islands as a no-man's land rather than as
part of Russia. The Russian response was to relocate several Nentsy families to
Malyye Karmakuly (72°13'N, 52°25'E) in 1877. A relief station for shipwrecked ...
Pakhtusov, Petr (1800–1835) Ice conditions off the east coast of the Russian
Arctic archipelago of Novaya Zemlya—“New Land”—meant that it was almost
inaccessible to sailing vessels. Not until the 1830s were substantial sections of it
Mitä ihmiset sanovat - Kirjoita arvostelu
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 muita osia ei näytetty