Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sivua
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Tulokset 1 - 3 kokonaismäärästä 85
Geological surveys began almost immediately after the establishment of Mawson
Station, with dog and tractor teams setting out as early as the first winter.The
highest peak, Mount Menzies (3,355 meters), was climbed on 20 December 1961
It is probable that the first landings were made by walrus hunters in the late
seventeenth or early eighteenth centuries. The earliest documented landing,
however, was that of Skeffington Lutwidge on Phipps Island on 30 July 1773.
During the ...
Since Kara Gate is also known by this name, it seems likely that he came here,
and from early on it is probable that the Pomors sailed through the straits to
explore the Kara Seabeyond.The first recorded Western European visitor was
Mitä ihmiset sanovat - Kirjoita arvostelu
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 muita osia ei näytetty