Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sivua
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Tulokset 1 - 3 kokonaismäärästä 86
His work is known only through fragmented quotation by others, many of whom
themselves knew his work secondhand. Later writers are remarkably divided in
their opinion of him. On the one hand, Pytheasis credited with being the first to ...
Although seamen were not allowed to know the latitudes and longitudes of where
they had been, they had other means of knowing ... Two logs found as recently as
the 1950s document John Davis's landing on the continent, the first known.
Later known as the theory of continental drift, his suggestion was to provoke
intense controversy for the next fifty years. Wegener was inspired to develop his
theory by observing the behavior of sea ice, watching with fascination as
Mitä ihmiset sanovat - Kirjoita arvostelu
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 muita osia ei näytetty