Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sivua
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Tulokset 1 - 3 kokonaismäärästä 85
The longest journey achieved by Ross in 1859 was 500 miles in thirty-seven
days. Twelve sailors pulled two sledges led by Ross and Leopold McClintock. It
was to be McClintock's role to make a system of man-hauling. Five hundred miles
He made his first exploratory journey in late February, though he was able to go
only a few miles before being forced to return. With winter approaching its end,
Mawson, Cecil T. Madigan, and Lieutenant Belgrave E.S. Ninnis set out on 9 ...
The number of nautical miles traveled per hour. Labrador. Now forming the
mainland section of Newfoundland Province, Canada, the coast of Labrador
extends south from Cape Chidley (60°30'N,64°30'W) on Hudson Strait to the
Strait of ...
Mitä ihmiset sanovat - Kirjoita arvostelu
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 muita osia ei näytetty