Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - 797 sivua
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Tulokset 1 - 3 kokonaismäärästä 87
Depot-laying journeys began soon after Falcon's departure on 20 August, though
bad weather and an outbreak of food poisoning meant that ... birth to Marie
Ahnighito, whose pure white skin soon caused the Inuit to nickname her'Snow
Fortunately, Austadjoined them soon afterward, and Plaisted promised to check
compass directions with Pitzl at least three times a day. On 2 April, a U.S. Navy C-
121 Constellation flew from Thule Air Base, North Greenland, to the North Pole ...
Soon afterward Jones Sound was also declared a bay, Ross again mistakenly
seeing mountains at its western end. On 30 August, the expedition reached what
had been previously identified as the most promising of Baffin's three passages: ...
Mitä ihmiset sanovat - Kirjoita arvostelu
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
64 muita osia ei näytetty