« EdellinenJatka »
· Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? There is more hope of a fool than of him.
? An angry man stirreth up strife; and a furious man aboundeth in transgression.
A soft answer turneth away wrath: and yielding pacifieth great offences; but grievous words stir up anger.
Meekness is the fruit of the Spirit: but wrath and strife are the works of the flesh.
* Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth, and shall delight themselves in the abundance
The Lord will guide the meek in judgment; and the meek will he teach his way. The meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord.
He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit, than he that taketh a city. But he that hath no rule over his own spirit, is like a city that is broken down and without walls.
8 He that hath a froward heart findeth no good; and he that hath a perverse tongue, falleth into mischief. • They that are of a froward heart, are abomination
a to the Lord.
10 A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment; for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again.
11 Wrath bringeth the punishment of the sword; that ye may know there is a judgment.
1 Prov. xxix. 20.
Prov. xv. l. Psal. xxxvii. 11. 32. Prov. xxv. 28.
10 Prov. xix. 19.
2 Prov. xxix. 22. 3 Prov. xv. 1. Eccles. 4 Gal. v. 23. 22. 20. 19.
5 Matt, v. 5. 6 Psal. xxv. 9. Isa. 20. 19.
7 Prov. xvi. 8 Prov. xvii. 20.
9 Prov. xi. 20. 11 Job xix. 29.
'We know that every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving; but we must add to our knowledge temperance: and live soberly in this present world; and use this world as not abusing it.
? That every man, to whom God hath given riches and wealth, should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour; this is the gift of God: but take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting and drunkenness.
3 When thou sittest to eat, consider diligently what is before thee; and put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite : and be not desirous of dainties; for they are deceitful meat.
* Bé not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.
They that are drunken, are drunken in the night; but let us who are of the day be sober. Let us walk honestly, as in the day: not in rioting and drunkenness : for drunkenness, revellings, and such like, are works of the flesh; and they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God; but temperance is the fruit of the Spirit.
* Every man that runneth a race, and striveth for the mastery, is temperate in all things; that he may receive the prize. "Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
11 Tim. iv. 4. 2 Pet. i. 5, 6. Titus ii. 12. 1 Cor. vii. 31. 2 Eccles. v. 19. 18, 19. Luke xxi. 34.
3 Prov. xxiii. 1. 20. 3. Eph. v. 18.
5 1 Thess. v. 7, 8. Rom. xiii. 13. 21. 19. 21. 23. 22.
61 Cor. ix. 25. 24, 25.
1 Woe unto you that are full; for ye shall hunger.
2 He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loveth wine and oil, shall not be rich.
* Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright: at the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
Wine is a mocker; strong drink is raging; and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
5 Woe unto them who are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink; and rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink : that continue until night, till wine inflame them; that say, We will fill ourselves with strong drink; and to-morrow shall be as this day, and much more abundant.
Who hath woe? Who hath sorrow? Who hath contentions? Who hath babbling? Who hath wounds without cause? Who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine, they that go to seek mixed wine.
* They that count it pleasure to riot in the daytime, shall receive the reward of unrighteousness.
* Be not amongst wine-bibbers, amongst riotous eaters of flesh; and run not with them to the same excess of riot: for the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty, and drowsiness shall clothe a man
" He that is a companion of riotous men shameth his father.
i Luke vi. 25.
Prov. xxiii. 31. 4 Prov. xx. 1.
5 Isa. v. 22. 11. Isa. lvi. 12. xxii. 29, 30. 72 Pet. ii. 13.
8 Prov. xxiii. 20. 1 Pet. iv. 4. Prov. xxiii. 21.
9 Prov. xxviii. 7.
CHASTITY AND MODESTY.
1 This is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye shall abstain from fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, chambering, and wantonness; that every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour, not in the lust of concupiscence, even as the Gentiles, which know not God. For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.
2 Flee also youthful lusts.
• Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.
Keep thyself pure: for unto the pure all things are pure : but to them that are defiled nothing is purę, but even their mind and their conscience is defiled.
Walk not as other Gentiles walk; who being past feeling, have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness; and whom for this cause God hath given up unto vile affections, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: men and women working that which is unseemly, and against nature.
* None of you shall approach unto any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness; ye shall not commit any of those abominable customs, which were committed by the nations which the Lord cast
11 Thess. iv. 3. Col. jii. 5. Rom. xiii. 13. 1 Thess. iv. 4, 5. 7.
41 Tim. v. 22. Titus i. 15.
Eph. iv. 17. 19. Rom. i. 26. 24. 27. 26.
out of the land of Canaan. For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.
1 There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel; nor a Sodomite of the sons of Israel.
Flee fornication : for he that committeth fornication, sinneth against his own body. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body. Know
bodies are the members of Christ ? Shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
* Know ye not that ye are the temple of God; and that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own ? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy, for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
5 Keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman: lust not after her beauty in thine heart, neither let her take thee with her eyelids. Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burnt?
6 Remove thy way far from a strange woman, and come not nigh the door of her house; lest thou give thine honour unto others; lest strangers be filled with thy wealth ; and thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed, and say, How have I hated instruction, and despised reproof?
1 Deut. xxiii. 17.
2 1 Cor. vi. 18. 13. 41 Cor. iii. 16. 1 Cor. vi. 19. I Cor. iii. 17. 25. 27.
6 Prov. v. 8. 3. 8. 9, 10, 11, 12.
3 1 Cor. vi. 15. 5 Prov. vi. 24,