« EdellinenJatka »
Gofpel of St. Matthew.
Chrift's Genealogy, ver. 1. The Hiftory of Christ's Conception and Birth, ver. 18.
I. •THE Defcent of Jefus Chrift by Birth, was (according to the Prophefies that went before concerning him,) from Abraham, to whom God had exprefly promised, that in his Seed fhould all the Nations of the Earth be blefed; and from David, of whofe Family the Meffiah was by the whole Jewish Nation without Controversy expected to arise.
2. And his Genealogy from Abraham, down to his reputed Father Jofeph, is this.
1 THE Book of
the generation of Jefus Chrift, the fon of David, the fon of Abraham.
2 Abraham begat Ifaac, and Ifaac begat Jacob, and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren.
8. Aminadab. 9. Naaffon. 10. Salmon.
12. Obed. 13. Jeffe.
1. Solomon. 2. Roboam. 3. Abia. 4. Afa.
5. Jofaphat. 6. Joram 7. Ozias.
8. Joatham. 9. Achaz. 10. Ezekias.
II. Manaffes. 12. Amon. 13. Jolias.
was on this wife : When as his mother Mary was efpoufed to Jofeph, before they came together, fhe was found with child of the Holy Ghost. 19 Then Jofeph her husband, being a juft man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
20 But while he
thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord peared unto him in a dream, faying, Jofeph, thou fon of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife for that which is conceived in her, is of the holy Ghoft.
21 And the fhall bring forth a fon,and thou fhalt call his name Jefus for he fhall fave his people from their fins.
But when his Mother Mary was contracted to Jofeph, before they came together, fhe was found to be with Child by the extraordinary and miraculous Operation of the Holy Ghoft.
19. Jofeph perceiving her to be with Child without his Knowledge, was much troubled and disturbed at it, being yet wholly ignorant of the Divine Mystery. Nevertheless, being a good and compaffionate Man, he was unwilling to expofe her to publick word Shame, but refolved to put her away in the Old privately. Teftament
* So the
and from thence
20. But while he was mufing in his fignifies, Mind upon these Things, an Angel appeared to him in a Dream, and faid; Jofeph do not entertain any evil Thoughts concerning Mary your Wife; and in the for fhe is not only innocent of what you New Teft. wrongfully suspect her, but is also chosen of God to be the Inftrument of a great and miraculous Work. For the Child that is now conceived in her, is by the wonderful and immediate Power of the Holy Ghoft.
21. And the fhall be delivered of a
Son: and his Name fhall be called Jefus,
22 (Now all this was done that it
might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, faying,
23 Behold, a virgin fhall be with child, and fhall bring forth a fon, and they fhall call his name
22. And hereby fhall be most eminently fulfilled that remarkable Prophecy of Ifaiah, (Ifa. vii. 14)
23. Behold, a Virgin fhall conceive Emmanuel, (which and bring forth a Son and he shall be being interpreted, is, called Immanuel, that is, God with us.. God with us)