Sivut kuvina

of a Wesleyan Missionary to the heathen. Early in August they sailed for the South Seas, affectionately commended to the blessing of God by his fervent prayers.

Shortly after his return from the Leeds Conference, he again makes mention in his journal of a peculiar pain in his chest, to occasional returns of which he was subject to the close of life. “I have a constant pain in my breast,” he writes, “ which probably proceeds from a cause, which will ultimately prove fatal.” With his characteristic submission, and confidence in God, he adds: "Well, I am in thy hands, O my God: I am thine ; save me in life and in death."

There was so much evenness about Mr. Entwisle's preaching, and he usually spoke with so much apparent facility and self-possession, and with such manifest enjoyment of the truths he ministered to others, that few if any of his hearers imagined that he ever felt any thing like embarrassment, or confusion of thought: much less, as though left to himself. And yet, he was occasionally painfully exercised in these respects. The following extract will exhibit his meek submission to the will of God, and his singleness of eye to his glory, in these trying circumstances.

“Sun. Sept. 19.-Preached this morning at King street, on Genesis xxii. 1, &c. My mind was dark and confused: no recollection: no unction: no power.

I am the more surprised at this, because I had taken much pains in previous preparation; had derived good from meditating on the subject; and had formerly had great liberty in preaching on the passage. The congre. gation was large and attentive, My soul is humbled before God. I am distressed, because I fear no good was done. As to myself, I feel a willingness to be despised; yea, to be trodden under foot. Never did I go into the pulpit under a deeper sense of dependence upon God. I cannot account for the want of conscious aid; but I do see the end I should endeavour to secure,—& deeper baptism of the Holy Spirit. I will humble myself before God: I will pray more for direction in the choice of subjects; and walk more closely with God. O Lord, be thou my teacher and my helper.”

On Sunday, Nov. 28, he writes: -“Peculiarly assisted in my public work at Walcot in the morning; and more


especially at King street in the evening, while preaching on Acts xvi. 30, 31; there appeared to be an unusual power of God resting upon the congregation; and also in the Society meeting, while I gave an account of the origin of Methodism, its doctrines, discipline, and progress at home and abroad. I am more and more convinced, that old Methodist preaching will do most execution. God honours those truths which gave such mighty impulse to religion above ninety years ago. May the glory never depart from us.”

The Rev. W. Entwisle's health, which, in consequence of over-exertion when labouring in the Dudley Circuit, had been declining for the last three years, now failed so rapidly, that towards the latter end of this year, it became necessary to apply to the President for assistance. Early in January, 1831, the Rev. Thomas Rogerson was sent to his relief; but notwithstanding some temporary advantage afforded by seasonable rest, disease continued to gain ground, but so insidiously, and with so many intervals of apparent improvement, that his beloved father and friends were held in suspense, hope alternating with fear, until Sunday, the 10th of July; on which day a messenger from Trowbridge arrived at Bath at the close of the evening service, with the startling intelligence, that he had ruptured a blood-vessel in the lungs while gently walking up stairs that afternoon ; that the loss of blood and the consequent exhaustion were such as to leave no room to hope for his recovery; and that both he and his afflicted wife earnestly requested his father and brother to hasten immediately to Trowbridge. My mother being ill of a fever at the same time, and my

father in a state of great exhaustion from the labours of the day, together with previous fatigue and loss of rest,-he was compelled to defer his journey until the next day. The writer of this Memoir hastened to Trowbridge immediately. Early on Monday morning, Mr. E. followed, and rejoiced, on his arrival, to find my brother better than he expected: the hemorrhage had ceased, his mind was at peace, and he had strong confidence in God.

After spending a day of great profit and mournful satis1 faction with him, the state of Mrs. E.'s health obliged

him to return to Bath at night.

On Wednesday evening, after spending some time in


silent prayer, my brother, who seemed to have received some intimation of the time of his departure, said to his affectionate wife with a heavenly smile, “ To-morrow, Thursday, --is my thanksgiving-day:*--I shall die tomorrow, and spend my thanksgiving-day in heaven; but I believe my dear father will be permitted to come and see me first.” To the Rev. John Newton also, his highly esteemed Superintendent, who was seldom absent from him after the rupture of the blood-vessel, he said, “I shall die to-morrow, and my father will be with me.

About ten o'clock on Thursday morning July 14th, his father arrived. The Doctor met him on the stair-case and said, “You are just in time, Sir.” On entering the chamber, he perceived his son was dying. When his languid eye caught his beloved father's, his countenance beamed with gratitude and joy. He kissed him, and said with a low voice, “ I am going to Jesus. Father, pray.” His afflicted wife, and Messrs. Newton and Rogerson were present. All knelt down, while in compliance with his request, my father prayed three times and Mr. Newton twice. While the latter was at prayer, my brother was so filled with holy joy, that he shouted aloud, “ Glory be to God.” He afterwards whispered to his beloved wife, whose affectionate and assiduous attentions could not be surpassed, “Peace; happy.” For about an hour all continued in solemn silence, momentarily expecting the departure of the happy spirit. During this time, he seemed to be engaged in intimate communion with God. After lying with his eyes closed for some time engaged in silent prayer, his countenance suddenly beamed with glory, as if heaven were opened to his view, and looking at his father, Mr. Newton, Mr Rogerson, and his beloved wife, with inexpressible pleasure, and with an obvious desire to make them sensible of the glory opened out to his view, he faintly whispered, “It is Jesus ! " then closed his eyes, which opened no more.

His face assumed a heavenly aspect; all effort and agony ceased; and about half-past eleven o'clock in the morning, his happy spirit entered into rest, in the thirty-second year

For some years he had been accustomed to observe Thursday as a thanksgiving-day, and to stir himself up like the Psalmist (Psalm ciii.) to a grateful remembrance and acknowledgment of God's mercies.

of his age. Heavenly glory seemed to fill the room ; and the pallid countenance of even the lifeless clay still retained the expression of the unutterable joy which had filled the soul of the departing saint. On the following Thursday, the mortal remains were laid with those of his beloved brother Samuel, in the vault under Walcot Chapel, Bath.

Mr. E. was much affected with this second bereavement. The Rev. W. Entwisle was, like his brother Samuel, a young man of more than ordinary promise: his ministry had been rendered exceedingly useful whereever it had been exercised, and especially at Stourbridge and the neighbourhood, where his death created a powerful sensation, and was deeply lamented by many to whom he had been the instrument of much spiritual good. A. brief memoir of him from his father's pen may be found in the Wesleyan Methodist Magazine for 1832. To lose such a son in the midst of his usefulness was a great trial, the severity of which was increased by a complication of other domestic afflictions, and some painful occurrences in his circuit, which militated against the prosperity of that work which lay nearest his heart. But under all, his bearing was that of an eminently spiritual and devoted servant of the Lord Jesus Christ. His language was:— -“This is a time of trouble; clouds and darkness are round about us: still the Lord reigns; and this God is our God for ever and ever, and will be our guide even unto death It is the Lord. I believe in Him,—his government,his grace; and though he slay me, yet will I trust in him.'

The Bath people were desirous that both Mr. Entwisle and his son should remain with them a third year, and pressed their request; but several considerations induced them to decline the invitation. It cost the Christian father, however, many a pang to leave this beautiful city, now endeared and consecrated as the final resting place of all that was mortal of two beloved sons. Before he left, he placed two marble tablets with appropriate inscriptions in that part of Walcot Chapel which was just above the vault in which they lay, to perpetuate their memory.




Having been elected representative of the Bath District, Mr. Entwisle was under the necessity of an early attendance at the Conference. It was a favourable circumstance that it was held at Bristol; the distance between the two cities being so short as to allow him frequent opportunities of visiting Mrs. E. who was slowly recovering from fever.

His frequent journies to and from home contributed to the improvement of his health, which had suffered from painful excitement and loss of rest; while the business of the Conference tended to relieve his mind, by withdrawing attention from the mournful objects by which it had long been occupied.

His next appointment was to Lambeth, one of his former scenes of labour, where he found in the Rev. John Storry an efficient and invaluable colleague. It was no small addition to his comfort, that a young lady for whom he felt a great esteem and affection, had become the wife of his only surviving son; whose appointment to the Hinde street Circuit afforded the opportunity of frequent intercourse. The enlargement of his family circle by this happy union, after such painful bereavements, he regarded as a peculiar mercy; and every visit to their house called forth new expressions of gratitude to God for this instance of his goodness. His widowed daughterin-law, Mrs. W. Entwisle, had accompanied him to Lambeth, where she remained until my mother's health was somewhat recruited. While his brother-in-law, the Rev. Henry Moore, was at Deptford; his nephew, the Rev. Thomas Stanley, at Hinde street; and his esteemed friends, the Rev. Messrs. G. Marsden and R. Watson at Queen street and City road: the frequent opportunities thus afforded for intercourse with beloved relatives and friends soothed and cheered


father's mind.

« EdellinenJatka »