Sivut kuvina

who had called upon me as English subjects with free passage by the schooner Bonita, of Halifax, Captain Coffin, then lying at Pinestreet wharf, and pay the captain $12 for each ticket returned by the captain to Mr. Winsor. I gave Mr. Winsor eight tickets, and he gave me the receipt hereto annexed, marked E. C. F.H. (This receipt will be found ante, page 184;) and I saw the captain give to Mr. W. a receipt for $96, as the captain had returned the eight tickets he had received from Mr. W. to him, and bound himself to deliver up those men in Halifax; and further, to return to Mr. Winsor $12 for each man he should not deliver up in Halifax. The captain took the eight men in his schooner, and sailed with them that evening. The same day I wrote a letter to Mr. Howe asking for funds. Mr. Howe's direction was given me by Mr. Mathew. The following morning I got a telegraphic despatch, directing me to call on Mr. Winsor and get funds. I went to Mr. Winsor, and told him I wished $500. He told me that he had an order to pay me $100 only; that Mr. Howe would be here, perhaps, that day or the day after, and he would furnish me with more. At the same time, Mr. W. told me that the steamer Granite State did not belong to him any more, that he had sold her to another firm, and he did not think that the firm would pay a charter for taking passengers ; that he did not know, therefore, how he would act to-morrow, as he could not procure any other vessel. I telegraphed directly to Mr. Bucknell, asking him what I should do to get conveyance for my “ brave people.” I did not get any answer. The reason why I telegraphed to Mr. Bucknell was, that he was the only man to assist the agents in sending away men. Bucknell told me he was the only man that was authorized by Mr. Howe to assist the agents in sending the men to Halifax, as Mr. Howe himself was very much occupied, and travelling from one place to another. To get the people away, I went down to Sandford's line, and made an agreement with Mr. Eldridge to pay him $4 for each man he would take in his steamer to New York, if he could delay the departure of the steamer till Sunday. I wanted to have time to send the men by the steamer Sandford. As Mr. Eldridge did not know me, Mr. Winsor went in and told him that everything that I did he would be responsible for. On the 25th, in the morning, the people were ready to start at five or six o'clock; but as I had no money to furnish Mr. Strobel, who had command of the party, I went up to Mr. Mathew at Jones's Hotel, in his room, at five o'clock, and told him the people were there by the wharf, but Captain Strobel was not willing to start without money, and the poor people wanted to have money in their pockets. He got out of his bed and got $50 and handed it to me, saying, "if that is not enough, I will give you more.' I went down to the wharf and gave $25 to Mr. Strobel, and divided the balance among the men who were going-eighty or ninety people. These people were those I had engaged ať my office to go. They went off to New York. I went the same night, the 25th, to New York, and went to Delmonico's hotel

, where I found' Mr. Bucknell sleeping in Mr. Howe's room. I told Mr. B. that the people either were there, or would come, as they left this morning, and asked how they were to be conveyed to Bos

I also told him that Mr. Strobel would be there and receive his further orders. Mr. Bucknell said that he would make it all right; that I should go to Mr. Barclay, at his private residence, College Place, and he (Bucknell) would soon be there to make further arrangements. I went away and returned to Delmonico's in about an hour. I met there Mr. Strobel, who had arrived; he told me that he wanted money to feed the people; that he was obliged to take them in four different parties, to four different boarding houses in Greenwich street. Mr. Bucknell came down, and we went up to his private room, when he told me that he would go with us himself to Mr. Barclay, at his office in Barclay street, and that I should go with him. I went with him, and he and Mr. Barclay went into an inner room. Mr. Bucknell then came out, and told me to wait in his private room at Delmonico's, that he would come directly and bring the money. He came and gave me $100, which I delivered in his presence to Mr. Strobel, less $5. I gave him $80 at that time, and had given him $15 before, that morning. We went together to the Astor House, where Mr. Bucknell telegraphed to Mr. Mathew to tell Mr. Cumberland (which means Mr. Howe) not to leave Philadelphia without seeing Mr. Hertz. Mr. Howe, at the time we were in New York, had gone to Washington, and was expected to return in a day or two. I left New York and returned to Philadelphia the same night. Mr. Barclay was the British consul at New York.

On my arrival from New York, I went directly from the depot to Jones's Hotel, where I saw Mr. Howe. This was on the 26th of March. Mr. Howe told me he had returned the same morning from Washington, and as he had received a message from Mr. Bucknell, through Mr. Mathew, he had waited here for the purpose of seeing me, as he was very anxious to see me. He had in the meantime, before my arrival, sent up for Mrs. Hertz to come down and see him, as he was indisposed; but she declined to do so. He told me he had come from Washington, after having a very important interview with Mr. Crampton, and that Mr. Crampton told him that, as far as he could observe, the government of the United States had begun to feel a little uneasy about this matter; in the meantime that I should go on and care for nothing, as I could be quite sure I would get immediate information in case the United States government should determine to prosecute the matter. I told him that I was not afraid, as I had the words of such men as Mr. Crampton and Mr. Mathew that nothing should happen to me. He told me that it was ten o'clock, and he expected to see Mr. Mathew, as he (Mr. Howe) would leave in the midnight train for New York. I told him that I was surprised that he had not sent me any money, as he said I should not be economical with it. He promised to write a note to Mr. Winsor, and all should be made right the next day, but the next day Mr. Winsor told me he had no orders; Mr. Howe had not seen him. Mr. Howe told me to word my despatches calling the men barrels or parcels. Mr. Howe also said, in this last connexion, that I could make a large amount of money ; that all I had to do was to blow a trumpet in the streets, and that I could get thousands for the foreign legion; that Mr. De Korponay was highly recommended as a man of great connexion in the West and Texas, and that I should endeavor to see him, and furnish him with the necessary means to start, and that as soon as I had sent him (Howe) word that I had engaged Korponay, he would send me money

The next morning I received a telegraphic despatch from Mr. Bucknell, asking how many parcels I would send, and that I should hurry them along; that there was another company wanting to join the next expedition, so that they should go to Boston together. I answered him immediately that I supposed 50 to 60 barrels would go off by the Sanford to-day. Some 47 went off by the Sanford that day. When I came to my office a half an hour afterwards, I was arrested. On Wednesday, the 28th of March, I was arrested, and on the 29th I went to Mr. Mathew's office and found Mr. Mathew in a deep conversation with De Korponay. He left Mr. De Korponay and invited me into the next room, and there said to me, "Do not be down-hearted, we will do everything for you in our power;" he meant by “we” Crampton, Howe, and himself. He also said that I should try to give Mr. Howe information of what had happened, and that I should go down to Mr. Winsor and get $200 ; I went to Mr. Winsor; he told me he had made all right with Mr. Mathew; I went back to Mr. Mathew's, and he (Mr. Mathew) handed the paper marked F. C. F. H., which is now in two parts. This paper Mr. Mathew wrote in my presence. The paper is in the following words:

“ Please call at Jones's for $200 left with Mr. Sharwood, the proprietor, by Mr. Howe, at 2 o'clock.”

I went up to Mr. Sharwood, the proprietor of Jones's Hotel, and I received $200 from Mr. Hicks, the book-keeper, to whom I showed this paper. The same day I went down to Moyamensing to see Mr. Budd, who had sent me a message that he had no money. I gave him $5. I told him I could not procure bail for him, as the people did not want to go bail for a native who is engaged in a business of this character. My wife accompanied me, on this occasion, to the prison. I returned home with her, and there found a letter addressed to me; afterwards I went out to take a walk with my wife, and walked down Chesnut street, and met the porter of Jones's Hotel-John Allen I think his name is; he asked me if I had received the letter he had left at my house that day, as the British consul had given strict orders that the letter should be delivered as soon as possible. The letter is hereto annexed, marked G. C. F. H., and is the letter I found at my house, on the occasion referred to by the porter. I have seen Mr. Mathew's handwriting. I know his style of writing, and believe this letter marked G to be in his handwriting. The following is a copy of the letter:

"If the sole name in the warrant and indictment is that of Glenroy, the marshal is indictable for false arrest of the other parties.

“The counsel, if such a man as J. Tyler, O'Neall, or Lex, will paint this mean arrest in its true colors; he will prove that the parties interested were solely acting for themselves, with no powerful friend behind them to pay fines, from the sole desire to aid in a war which Europe holds to be the war of liberty; the one a German, the other a Britisher.

“ If they have erred, their error is but light. Do these pretending

republican authorities seek to wreak vengeance on them for loving freedom with England better than Russia ?

“The counsel's speech should be carefully published, and will weigh before a third hearing, which should be obtained.

“If, in truth, the British consul had no part in it, the attempt to involve him should be exposed.

“It may be easily shown Gilroy is not to be believed on oath. Is he a paid spy and traitor to entrap under false names!!

“Honorable marshal! Honorable district United States attorney! “Honorable men, 'Captain Power,' and 'Lieut. Sommers’!!! "What is Gilroy's real name? “Where really born? not where he says. “What his character ? "What his reward?

“Is the German desiring liberty, or the Britisher desiring to aid his country in a war, to be held as a criminal!!!

“What has Russia paid the dominant power for this rigor?”

Some of the men who shipped on the morning of the arrest were not taken by the marshal, and went on to New York.

The book marked H is the book in which the names were entered in my office, together with the three sheets of paper marked H, 1, 2, 3. The names in the back of the book were the applicants for commissions.

The tickets produced in court are the tickets I gave to the men. Howe told me that the N. S. R. C. meant Nova Scotia Recruiting Company, but I might translate it Nova Scotia Railroad Company. I had them printed myself. Mr. Howe told me to print them in this

The white ticket with N. S. R. and J. H. on it, are tickets which I obtained from Mr. Howe myself; the J. H, are in his own handwriting. I used only eight of these, which were the eight I gave to Mr. Winsor. Those I used had Mr. Howe's seal on in wax.

On Saturday, before Strobel left, I told Mr. Mathew at that time, that the different gentlemen who expected to get a commission were anxious to know what pay they were to receive. He told me he could not exactly tell me, but that I should call on Dr. Williams, and give him his (Mr. Mathew's) compliments, and he would give me Hart's Army List, which would give me the necessary information. I got the book from the Doctor, but could find nothing about the matter. I told Mr. Mathew of the result, and he said I should correspond with Mr. Howe about it, or, if he should see him first, he would mention it to him. The same night, on my return from New York, Mr. Howe told me he had got all

the particulars from Mr. Crampton, so far as he knew it, and handed me the paper marked J. C. F. H. The paper referred to contains a memorandum as follows:

"Ensign, 5-4 sterling.
“Lieutenant, 6-8 sterling.

Captain, 11 and 2 sterling.” This paper states the pay of an ensign, 5s. 4d. per day; lieutenant, 6s. 8d.; a captain, 11s., and 2s. for rations. Mr. Howe said those prices referred to the per-diem pay. I believe this paper to be in Mr. Crampton's handwriting.

The handbill marked K. C. F. H. (this is the handbill with the Queen's arms on it, already printed, ante page 114) is the bill brought me by Mr. Bucknell, together with the white tickets with Howe's seal on them. These bills are the same as those posted in my office. All these bills were destroyed in the presence of Mr. Bucknell the next day, together with the tickets he brought me, except the eight I gave to Mr. Winsor. He brought me nine hundred odd tickets with Mr. Howe's seal on.

When Mr. Bucknell was arrested, Mr. Matthew sent me word by a friend that he would be much obliged to me if I would not call on or correspond with him any more in this case, as he had apprehensions that he was closely watched by the United States officers. The same friend of Mr. Mathew told me it would be best for me to go direct to Halifax. Mr. Bucknell told me the same thing. Before I went to Halifax, I wrote a note to Mr. Mathew. He answered me that he could not do, nor would he do, anything for me in this case, which he had before directly stated to me, and that I had used some improper remarks against him. I answered him, that I was surprised to hear such remarks from him, as I had only said that the functionaries of the British government were perfidious, and I still think so.

I left for Halifax, and had in my possession a letter to Mr. Howe, stating what he ought to do in my behalf. At New York, I went to the office of Mr. Barclay, and saw Mr. Stanley, the vice consul; he spoke with me about Mr. Howe, and told me that he was sorry that such heedless men as Mr. Howe had brought me and other honest people into a scrape without assisting us; he also told me that Bucknell was going to Halifax, and that he (Mr. Bucknell) was in the same position as myself. Mr. Stanley told me that Mr. Mathew had paid Mr. Bucknell's expenses, including lawyers' fees, all the expenses he had incurred, and expressed surprise that the same had not been done for me. Mr. Stanley paid my expenses from Halifax. I met at Mr. Stanley's office Mr. Jesson, who went from this place with Strobel to Halifax. He told me in Stanley's presence, that he, Strobel, and some other officers from Halifax, had been sent to the United States, and were now in the United States, and were under the special control of Mr. Crampton, and any money or funds that they required would be given them by different British officials, and the money which he (Jesson) required for enlisting purposes, he had to obtain from Mr. Crampton himself, and that he would go that same night to Mr. Crampton for that purpose. This was in the first part of June, about the 7th, long after my arrest. Mr. Jesson said he was at that time going on the enlisting business, under the direction of Mr. Crampton, and I saw him send fifteen men on that occasion to Boston, via steamboat, to go from thence to Halifax. Mr. Jesson told me he was then on his way to Washington to obtain money from Mr. Crampton for that purpose ; that the whole enlisting business was now entirely under the special supervision of Mr. Crampton, who had taken the matter entirely in his own hands. This conversation was in the office of Mr. Stanley, who paid Mr. Jesson some money in my presence, to pay for fifteen tickets for the men who were to go off that day.

I went with Mr. Jesson to the steamboat, and saw him pay the

« EdellinenJatka »